GIL

EDCI-339 Topic 3 reading

Topic 3 readings inspired me by open learning techniques and learning space. Open Pedagogy impressed me by demonstrating the created opportunities and benefits for students. It surprised me by their education system which is consists of reused, retained, redistributed, revised, and remixed It is really convincing because they started from issues that might bother students and give solutions for them. Their education approach sounds appropriate to me which focuses on collaboration, connection, diversity, democracy, and critical assessments of education tools and structure. I had not considered economic difficulty that would stand as a huge issue until I saw the data from the article. Open Pedagogy can help students to engage with an open learning environment by breaking the barrier of access. The article gave a list of OEPs which deliver great teaching techniques for teachers to get success in an open learning environment. If I am going to work in education, I would like to stick with these suggestions to create a satisfying open learning environment. My favorite one is to engage students to discuss with authors or experts. It is a good way to lead students to a deeper understanding of content and give them an opportunity to think critically. The second reading gave many student cases when facing the limits and boundaries. It is frustrating when the curiosity of students was cut off before it grows. It feels like there is only one way to figure out the question and you have to follow it. It limits students to expand their thinking to create possibilities beyond their ordinary knowledge. I believe that curiosity is one important component of education development. The third reading gives a similar content with an open learning environment. Indigenous learning space can be considered as a platform of an open learning environment. They provide a platform for youth to learn and share their knowledge with each other. Students can control their work which indeed is an open style.

1. daiy10

Hi Gilbert,
    Nice Post! Those readings inspired me a lot too! Retain, revise, remix, reuse, and redistributed are five characteristics of OERs that very helpful for learners to reflect on their past learning outcomes.
    Also, I agreed with you that “Digital Redlining” limited the curiosity of learners. For those learns who want to explore more and deep, they cannot get those resources. It is depressing.